Monday, April 11, 2005

Moving again!!!!

After eight months of painting and trying to get settled in my new house without Iqbal, he arrives and decides he doesn't really like this house. Whatever happened to "I'm not going to move again when we get to Oregon!"? This house feels cramped to him. I could have rented a place and saved myself a lot of hassle.

Oh, well.... So for the past week we have been looking at houses. I vetoed a couple. He vetoed a couple. Some we both knew weren't right. Saturday we put an offer on a house that had a guest house for Mom and an apartment for Alex. It was nice. It had plenty of room and a fireplace and a swimming pool. I felt neutral about the house. That's good, because they turned down our offer and we can't really pay more. Our next choice sold in the meantime.

Today we looked at four or five houses. I liked the first immediately, even though it isn't one I would have thought I would have liked. I loved the second, but it didn't have quite enough room and it was a bit dark. It was also worth every penny they were asking for and that was out of our range. The next one was one I "had a good feeling about." So much for my feelings. It was on a busy street and needed a lot of fixing up. It had six bedrooms, but it also smelled and was a mess. The fourth house was worse. It could have been a wonderful house. Instead it looked like a wild animal's lair and smelled worse. We suspected it was a crash pad for addicts. We merely drove past the fifth house because it was on a very busy street and wasn't the greatest neighborhood.

In the end we went back to the first house and looked at it some more and tried to figure out how our stuff will fit in. This house (the one I'm in) still feels bigger to me, but the numbers say that one is bigger. It has a lot of charm and the neighborhood seems quite nice. I like the feel of it. Since we both liked it, Alex thought it was "okay" (hey! no apartment means he'll be more inclined to get his own place sooner... ie. grow up!) and my sister had very good vibes about it, we decided to put an offer on it. We should know by Wednesday, if we got it. Then it's back to packing and boxes and ....aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

No comments: